Tara W. Duhy
Areas of Practice
- Counsels clients regarding sustainability law and policy, including transportation planning.
- Advises clients through all phases of development of regional impact review, comprehensive planning, zoning and other local, state and federal land use approval processes from the application for such approvals through the defense and prosecution of administrative, local or federal litigation. Ms. Duhy represents agricultural, development and mining clients before local government entities, regional planning councils and the Department of Community Affairs.
- Represents clients throughout environmental and administrative permitting processes involving local, state and federal regulations and laws governing endangered species, coastal development, the consumption, management and storage of surface waters and the dredging or filling of wetlands, including jurisdiction and permitting pursuant to the Clean Water Act. Representation includes consultation regarding Endangered Species Act and NEPA compliance. Ms. Duhy successfully represents public and private clients with matters before the Florida Department of Environmental Protection, the various Florida water management districts, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
- Represents public and private clients participating in the creation and negotiation of public/private partnerships – including community redevelopment agencies – from conceptual and site planning, to supervising requests for proposals and responses thereto, to drafting and negotiating development agreements and contracts.
- General representation of local governments and special districts, including drafting and reviewing ordinances, resolutions, policies and procedures, and providing general counsel.
- Experience in civil and administrative litigation.
Professional, Civic and Community Involvement
- The Florida Bar, Member, 2004
- The Florida Bar, Environmental and Land Use Law Section
o Executive Council Member, 2009-present
- The American Bar Association, Section on Energy and Environmental Resources
o Water and Wetlands Committee Vice-Chair, 2007 to present
- Leadership Palm Beach County, Class of 2011
- The Palm Beach County Bar Association, Member
o Environmental and Land Use Committee, Co-Chair
- Easter Seals of Florida, Inc., Board of Directors, 2012-2014; Event Committee Member.
Publications and Presentations
- "U.S. Supreme Court Offers Clean Water Act Plaintiffs Their Day in Court", co-authored with Kevin Hennessy, Journal American Water Works Association, June 2012.
- "Clean Water Act Section 404 Jurisdiction Update: The Everglades Agricultural Area", presented at the Florida Mine Safety, Health & Environmental conference held in Orlando, February 22, 2011.
- “Status of the Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) for Limerock and Aggregate Mining in Southwest Florida,” presented at the Florida Limerock and Aggregate Institute Meeting in Orlando, October 20, 2010.
- “Mining in the EAA,” presented to the Palm Beach County Bar Association Environment and Land Use Law Committee on August 24, 2010.
- “Transportation Update,” presented at the Florida Bar Environment and Land Use Law Annual Update, held in Ponte Vedra Beach on August 12, 2010.
- “When is Agricultural the Normal Circumstance?,” presented as part of the “Water Issues in an Evolving Legal Climate,” panel at the ABA Section of Environment, Energy, and Resources 39th Annual Conference on Environmental Law, held in Salt Lake City, Utah on March 19, 2010.
- “Mobility and Economic Development,” presented as part of “Transportation Impact Fees” panel at the American Bar Association Mid-Year Meeting held in Orlando, Florida, February 5, 2010.
- “Green Initiatives: In Theory and In Practice,” presented at the 4th Campus & Community Sustainability Conference held at the University of South Florida, October 9, 2009.
- “Ninth Circuit Holds that Jurisdictional Determinations from U.S. Army Corps Are Not Judicially Reviewable: Practical Considerations,” Water Quality and Wetlands Committee Newsletter, January 2009.
- “Rapanos: An Interpretive Dance,” presented at the South Florida Association of Environmental Professionals 2007 Annual Conference, November 29, 2007.
- “Special Districts and Florida’s Sunshine Law: How to Stay in the Sun and Avoid the Shadows,” June 20, 2007.
- “State and Federal Administrative Mechanisms for Protection Instream Flows: Key Issues in the East, the Role of Reservations in Florida Water Law,” May 11, 2006.
- Cited in “The Professional Responsibility of Affirmative Action in Higher Education”, by Emily Calhoun, Temple Political & Civil Rights Law Review, Volume 12, Issue Number 1.
- Cited in “Plea Bargaining at the Hague,” The Yale Journal of International Law, Volume 30, Issue Number 2.
Awards and Honors
- Florida Rising Star in Environmental Law, 2009 and 2013.
- Leadership Palm Beach County, Class of 2011.
- Listed as a “Rising Star” in the Daily Business Review’s “40 under 40” Issue, September 2013.
- Recipient, the Judy Florence Memorial Outstanding Service Award, presented by the Executive Council of the Environmental and Land Use Law Section of the Florida Bar, 2007-2008.