Public Pension, Labor & Employment
Pension benefits are one of the most important and costly fringe benefits for government employees. The operation and funding of public pension plans is subject to complex federal and state laws and regulations. Our attorneys work closely with plan sponsors, boards of trustees, actuaries and labor counsel to ensure compliance with relevant laws and regulations, and to implement effective cost-containment strategies. We also advise public employers on a wide range of pension issues, and prepare plan documents and amendments. We have represented numerous cities, pension boards and individuals in pension-related litigation and appeals.
Employee relations and benefits are critical to the success of any organization. Although Florida is an "at-will" employment state, employers must deal with many complex federal and state laws that govern nearly every aspect of the employer-employee relationship. Mistakes can be extremely costly, both in terms of resources and employee morale. Our areas of practice include:
- Avoidance of Employment Claims
- Compliance with Federal and State Regulations
- Defense Against Wrongful Termination, Discrimination, Sexual Harassment and Whistleblower Claims
- Governmental Retirement Issues, Including Plan Design, Evaluation of Compliance with Federal and State Laws, Plan Amendments, Legislative Representation and Litigation
- Workplace-Related Litigation
For more information on this practice area, please contact Glenn E. Thomas, Chair – Public Pension, Labor & Employment.
NEWS: Click Here to Read "Florida Retirement System Case - Circuit Court Holds 2011 Changes Unconstitutional" (March 2012)